A. Background. Keep the palaces straight.
1. There is the Palacio Real Mayor (Palacio Reial Mayor)(Major Palau), and the Palacio Real Menor, a royal chapel nearby. The Palace Major is in the Gothic quarter, and was the residence of the Counts of Barcelona and later, for kings of Aragon. It has been documented since 1116.
2. As to the Palacio Real (Reiale) Menor, construction also began early, as a Templar project in 1134 or so. Upon dissolution of the Templars in about 1213, the Knights of St. John Hospital (Hospitallers) were granted rights and properties formerly Templar. The Palacio Real changed hands, and then was rebuilt after much wear and tear. The Requesens family took over. Wikipedia's Encyclopedia offers a good non-touristy framework for understanding its history. The original structure, however, was demolished in the mid-19th Century.
3. Is anything original left inside or outside, even if refurbished. Are some items or symbols used from storage somewhere, from the 19th Century. Who knows. It takes a Spanish speaker to sort out the sites. Explore. Specifically:
B. What are the M's on the doors to the chapel here: the Mystery M on the chapel doors.
1. I see no royal or other prominent person with the M initial, who would likely be memorialized there.
2. There is this opportunity for logical conjecture. M's on the march"
Juxtapose this set of Mystery M's with Egyptian references, perhaps; with the mystery of the name of the North Gate at the Templar town of La Couvertoirade in France: The Gate of Amoun.
That seems to be a reference to Amun, or Amen, an Egyptian theological concept. Perhaps the Amun, or Amoun Gate represents some connection to the Templars in crusades in Egypt, such as the 7th Crusade; and what did they learn there, or bring away, or what did they learn while under the Temple Mount in Jerusalem that led them ultimately to track matters back to Egypt.
Ma'at -- goddess of the order of things, a part of (perhaps) theologies morphing through the Paulicians to the Manicheans, to the Bogomils to the Cathars, and Templar access to those things. See http://www.cathar.info/120117_heavenhell.htm Rebirth, transmigration of souls, origins of heaven and hell notions as not particularly or uniquely Christian after all, despite Michael, and where was Jesus for the first decades of his adult life if not Egypt? Or Memphis, a particular theological setting in ancient Egypt, the Theology of Memphis, see http://www.csun.edu/~rlc31920/documents/History%20110/Theology_of_Memphis.pdf, including the power of annunciation, the Word that, when spoken, creates the reality of which it spoke, the idea creation out of nothing else, etc.
Or for Mother Mari, see http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_autor_whenry04.htm;
or the manuscript "Mari", same site.
C. Tradition has long held, variously, that Templars did bring information or documents or something that the Church would want to control or suppress or use for itself as to earliest Christian beliefs and where they originated.
1. Why not look more seiously at ancient Egyptology, Egyptian religion, perhaps connecting to Amun, or Amoun, and see what would disturb the militant, territorial and hierarchy-driven Christian church as it separated itself from the rest of Christendom in the 11th Century.
2. Theology of Memphis. This is one of the several evolving theologies of ancient Egypt, and the one that matches the M's. What would be found there of interest?
Many ideas. The creative power of the Word, anticipating the Logos doctrine of the New Testament, and Creation stories where the power of the utterance leads to creation itself, out of nothing but the idea spoken, the similarities to what we have been told are Israelite concepts in conjunction with a God that chose then dabbled with them and their fates, and the Creation stories included in the Western Bible.
Where to start? Start with the actual theology of Memphis, at http://www.csun.edu/~rlc31920/documents/History%20110/Theology_of_Memphis.pdf. There, on the chart of the gods, see Ptah, the god of craftsmen among other things. Templars, Templar symbols and ritual, Masons, a possible connect.
Then see, after Ptah, Atum. Sounds like Adm, Adam. The concept of what the created thing included.
And, step 3, take a short cut again to Wikipedia Encyclopedia for a summary of the various Egyptian approaches, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_creation_myths
This suggests that the Templars espoused or at least opened the door to the Memphis Rite. So, what are the M's on the entry doors of this last vestige of an old Palace, a royal palace once, now merely minor. There is a larger, more prominent palace that remains elsewhere, but nearby.
The chapel that remains of the minor palace here is deep in alleyways, perhaps was moved to this place when the city walls were torn down so the city could expand. It is hid amid narrow streets where you can almost touch the walls of buildings on both sides, where even the GPS laughs at your going in circles. We still felt safe. Go where you like when you travel.
3. Double M.
We know this chapel has Templar connections. In 2013, we now also know that the Templars were absolved of heresy even in the decade in which they were tortured and killed on that ground, and their property confiscated (where, ask the legends, is the real treasure?) and divided between the King of France, Philip the Fair, Philip II.
Absolved? Yet, the Roman Catholic Church, under old Pope Clement V, hid the story and is the Vatican only now about to release a book about all this? The Chinon parchments from the old trials? See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1565252/Vatican-paper-set-to-clear-Knights-Templar.html
- Rather than pass off the idea of ancient Egyptian origins of beliefs that Western Religion likes to think are uniquely Christian, read Ancient Egypt, ed. David P. Silverman, NY Oxford Univ Press 1997 at 125 ff. Amun the Unknowable, the Memphis theology, the Word of God, Akhenaten, time and eternity, etc.
- The institutional church's violent killing and discrediting of Manicheans, Paulicians, others, and the centuries of book burnings and destruction of ancient libraries: ask, what does the Vatican Library, for example, still hold, that may cast real doubt on the "Christian" obsessions with hierarchies and rules that prevent autonomy, discussion.
Meanwhile,the M's. Hobnail pattern. Is the door wooden or leather. I cannot recall and my notes are silent. If leather, would they be as old, or would the leather have disintetrated.
D. More possibilities for the M, for other researchers and amateurs to investigate in order to ward off Alzheimers:
1. M is for a Masonic M. Not yet.
Not so far. I see no Masonic M in an overt M pattern, only the M in some hand signals, ring and center finger together, pinky and pointer separated. Is that so? A dead end for us. We know that later Freemasons built their rituals and whatever on allegedly Templar roots, but this particular clear alphabetical, not particularly occult, capital M eludes me.
2. M is for Mary, Virgin Mary. Not yet. But see the reference to Mari, above.
Not so far. I see no other name for this place so far than the chapel of the palace minor, that the Templars allegedly used. This one: There are statues, carvings, paintings of the Virgin Mary inside, but not reflected in the name. There already is the Barcelona Cathedral, the Saint Mary of the Sea, the Santa Maria del Mar.
From the nature of the portraits, alcoves with apparent Madonnas, echoes of Black Madonnas not entirely explained by mere exposure to dampness, must, fire, whatever, emerge. Some black figures whether of Jesus of Mary appear to be intentionally black. How to cross reference all we have found in 15 years of European travel on our own, without Google's algorithm accusing us of cross-spamming ourselves and deleting the whole thing. Pity.
3. M is for a more occult form of heresy, shown here, if the M means that, to have survived the decimation of the Templars who were charged with heresies on other grounds.
Back to the Memphis Rite.
The Memphis Rite, ancient Egyptology, where the very origins of the nature of the creating deity, long claimed to be the purview of the Israelites as Chosen - and ultimately the group that claims to be the only legitimate inheritor of Christ's true whatever.